- Saturday June 2nd, 2012 :: 08:44 a.m. PDT
Public Invited: BBQ and Salsa Showdown: Sat, June 2, 11am-5pm, Castaic (Benefits children & public safety in need)
Who: Open to the general public
Hosted by: Employees of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD)
When: 11:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturday, June 2, 2012
Where: Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
Pitchess Detention Center, Jack Bones Equestrian Center
26983 Tapia Canyon Road, Castaic, CA 91384
What: The LASD will host its 2nd Annual Stars & Stripes Barbeque and Salsa Showdown
This event is open to the public and features BBQ and salsa booths, a Kid’s Zone, food and drink vendors, live music, race car displays, games, retail vendors, military displays, LASD Department displays, and more.
Competitors from throughout Southern California will compete to show who makes the best medium, hot, or sweet salsa, who grills up the best chicken wings, and who smokes the best pork roasts, pork ribs and beef brisket. In addition to the food offered by the competitors, a variety of food vendors will offer everything from ice cream to barbeque.
Cost: Admission is only $5.00 for adults, $3.00 for children ages 7-14, and free to children 6 and under. Admission includes a BBQ/Salsa tasting card, entitling the bearer to sample the entries and vote on their favorites for the "People’s Choice" awards. There are no ATM’s at the event. The BBQ and Salsa Showdown will be held rain or shine.
Location: All activities take place on the grounds of the Sheriff Department’s Jack Bones Equestrian Center, located at 26893 Tapia Canyon Road, Castaic, California.
Directions: To reach the Jack Bones Equestrian Center, take Interstate 5 to Castaic, Ca. and exit at Parker Road. Take Parker Road west to Castaic Road and turn right. Castaic Road will take you to Tapia Canyon Road. Turn left and continue until you reach the event at 26983 Tapia Canyon Road, Castaic.
Parking: Free parking is available at the event. There is parking for persons with disabilities and VIP’s
Pets: NO pets are allowed at the event due to Health Department regulations, except for service animals.
Proceeds: Will benefit four great nonprofit organizations: Special Olympics of Southern California; 999 for Kids; Wives Behind the Badge; and LASD Motorsports.
* Special Olympics Southern California provides free year-round sports training and athletic competition to thousands of children and adults with intellectual disabilities http://www.sosc.org/
* “999 for Kids” was formed by the Sheriff’s Department in partnership with the Department of Children and Family Services to help physically and mentally challenged children throughout Los Angeles County who are victims of the most severe cases of child abuse, neglect, and domestic violence http://www.999forkids.org/
* Wives Behind the Badge, Inc. is dedicated to providing resources and emotional support to law enforcement families, and to serving as a positive voice for law enforcement in the community.
* LASD Motorsports is a program that was organized by Deputy Sheriff’s from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department that have a passion for fast vehicles, and being involved within their communities. As Deputies our goal is to be role models to all we come in contact with as we give messages concerning the dangers of abusing drugs, alcohol, gangs, and illegal street racing.
For additional information, contact Tabitha Youngstrom at (661) 294-6309, email the event committee at BBQ@LASD.org, or visit the event on Facebook! Information is also available at www.PDCEvents.org
Sgt. Anthony Gunn
Pitchess Detention Center – South Facility
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
Captain Mike Parker
Sheriff's Headquarters Bureau - Newsroom
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
LASD Text and Emails: www.Nixle.com
Twitter @LASD_News http://twitter.com/#!/LASD_News
Leroy D. Baca, Sheriff
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
To receive detailed, up-to-date information directly from the LASD via e-mail, register for "Nixle" alerts at www.Nixle.com and register for "LASD-HQ Newsroom (SHB), Los Angeles County Sheriff" and also register for your local LASD station area. Or, text your zip code to 888777 to receive text alerts only. Standard text messaging rates may apply, depending on your calling plan.
LASD - HQ Newsroom (SHB), Los Angeles County Sheriff
4700 W Ramona Blvd
Monterey Park, CA 91754