- Thursday December 31st, 2009 :: 04:24 p.m. CST
New Year's Eve Safety Tips http://www.cityoflewisville.com/wcmsite/publishing.nsf/Content/Seasonal+Safety+Issues
Have a Safe and Happy New Year!
New Year’s Eve always brings celebration. The following simple tips can help you and your family experience a safe and enjoyable celebration.
Most importantly: Don’t drink and drive!
• Designated driver: Make sure to arrange a designated driver, or another safe form of transportation, before going out New Year's Eve.
• Look out for others: When out at New Year's Eve events, make sure that others are also acting safely. If an individual is intoxicated, stop them from driving or leaving with someone they don't know.
• Travel in groups: Traveling in groups is encouraged, when going out to bars and parties on New Year's Eve. By attending events with friends, everyone will be able to look out for each other's safety.
• Avoid driving: To prevent a possible accident during this particularly dangerous time, people should make arrangements to avoid driving that day -- especially between the hours of 10 p.m. and 2 a.m.
• Watch the weather: Winter conditions can prove to be dangerous even for sober drivers. Freezing temperatures increase the chances for black ice. Stay alert and obey the speed limit. Also check the weather forecast before you head out to your New Year's celebration to make sure you are prepared.
• Check for safe rides home: Research options ahead of time to have all the phone numbers written down and with you for the evening. If none are offered, look to use public transportation or taxi service.
• If hosting a party: Make sure you set rules on drinking and driving. Offer to provide a ride home or a place for guests who drink to sleep. Always offer alcohol-free beverages during the event, and make sure all of your guests leave with a sober driver.
Lewisville Police Department
1187 W Main St
Lewisville, TX 75067